Description

A blog mainly about birds and birding, to supplement my website www.gobirding.eu. I shall add new posts on an ad hoc basis as and when I have something I think is worth sharing, whether that’s an interesting bird, something I’ve learned, perhaps about identification, or something that’s aroused my curiosity. Often there will be questions, some of which you might be able to answer... please use the comments!

Wednesday 29 August 2012

First-summer Pom

I was hoping to come back from the Scilly birders' pelagic with photos of Wilson's Petrels to share with you but sadly that didn't quite work out (again).

Instead here's something a bit different - a Pomarine Skua in first-summer plumage.  Apparently they don't normally get many Poms down there but this year there have been a few, nearly all first-summers.  Not a plumage we get to see very often here in Norfolk, although if I'm perfectly honest it's quite possible I've overlooked it in the past.









Pomarine Skua, MV Sapphire birders' pelagic trip, 12th August 2012


Oh, and while I'm at it I might as well show off a bit of Great Shear action... something else we don't see in Norfolk very often.



Great Shearwater, MV Sapphire birders' pelagic trip, 12th August 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment